Svitlana is here. Today I came to share a card featuring succulents in the background.
I'm a big fan of background images in any form (background stamps, stencils) and I like making my own backgrounds as well. This time, I used the Succulents Stamp Set and a little bit of masking to make the background. Below, I'll share some tricks which I find helpful in building backgrounds.
When you plan your own background first you need to decide how you want the elements to be positioned. For example, in my case, I wanted them to look like one row of succulent pots is located behind the previous one (moving from the bottom up).
In order to prevent elements from overlapping, I used masking technique. In other words – I cut out masks for each element and was covering stamped images with the corresponding masks before stamping an element next to them. When you work with masking technique you always need to start stamping from the element you want to be located in the very front, cover it with a mask and stamp the element located behind it.
As I mentioned I decided to make kind of rows of succulents, with each next row behind the previous one. So I stamped the first row, covered it with masks and stamped the next row. I covered the second row elements with their masks before stamping the third row and so on.
When you plan backgrounds like this it's better to not stamp the same elements right next to each other, that way it will look more interesting.
I mentioned that I used masks to prevent overlapping. And in some areas, I needed two masks of the same element to stamp another one in between. I only had one mask of each design (left from the previous time I worked with this set, I always try to save masks if they're in relatively good condition) and instead of cutting out more masks I decided to cheat. So first I covered one element with a mask, then inked only one part of a stamp, the one which would overlap the masked element, then stamped it. After that, I moved the mask onto another element that needed to be masked and this time I inked the other side of the stamp before stamping.
I was using a stamp positioning tool, which made it possible to stamp twice exactly in the same spot and saved me some time on cutting out additional masks.
After my background was ready I blended some Sand Dunes Dye Ink onto the panel edges, stamped the sentiment from the Faithful Feathers Stamp Set in Jet Black Dye Ink and foam mounted it onto a red card base.
Next, I popped up the succulent on a card and added several red liquid drops to accentuate it.
Have a great day!