Hi! It's Jocelyn on the blog today. I'm sharing a card with stamping on patterned vellum and a few tips for achieving this look.
I started the card by stamping the Super Script sentiment with Jet Black ink on grid patterned paper. I added gold splatter and set the panel aside to dry.
Next, I worked on the Floral Motifs flower. I used patterned vellum from Webster's Pages, although there are several options. Plus, if you like the look but only have plain vellum, you can color the backside to create your own pattern.
Here are a few tips for stamping on patterned vellum:
- Use an ink that will be permanent. Dye inks usually work, but I've found on some vellum, the lines bleed. I didn't want to use black, so I used a grey-ish ink designed for mixed media. Whatever ink you use, test it first on the vellum.
- Heat set the ink. Ask me how I know…. (*wink*)
- When stamping, try to not rock the acrylic block. The surface is more slippery, and it's harder to get an even impression.
- Focus on the overall colors instead of the pattern. As you can see, the flower is stamped over a letter. Since the look is supposed to be artsy, it works.
- No patterned vellum? Create your own pattern by scribbling alcohol-based markers on the backside of vellum.
The Floral Motifs set is great for this technique! Once I was done stamping, I fussy cut the stems and leaves. There are also Floral Motifs dies (which would have been much easier).
I finished the card by stitching through sequins and a puffy heart. Here are a couple of close-ups:
Thanks so much for stopping by!
such a gorgeous card..great idea!
Thank you, Holly!
Thank you so much, Kim!
What a cool and innovative idea!! Love the look that the patterned velum gives to the beautiful Altenew images!! Super awesome and my favorite thing about this card is those sequins stitched down in the upper corner – Just such a FABULOUS card with awesome, unique touches!!!
Thank you so much! The stitching through the sequins was an idea I picked up from Maggie Holmes a while back, and I love that it keeps the sequins from falling off. :)
This is awesome! Thanks for the tips!
:) Thank you so much, Shelly!
Ask me how I know about the proper ink on vellum, as well, Jocelyn! Ugh! Oh this is so pretty… artsy and very cool…
LOL Michele! Thank you! You are so sweet. :)
What an absolutely gorgeous card Jocelyn!!!
Thank you so much, Celeste!
Oh so dang pretty Jocelyn, the line of stitched sequins is the perfect added touch to your beautiful bloom!
You’re so sweet! Thanks, Therese!
Gorgeous and I love how you have attached the sequins :-)
Thank you so much, Janet! :)
This is so pretty! I love the vellum pieces/patterns you picked to use!
<3 Thank you, Miriam!
Wow, pretty! I hadn’t even thought of stamping on patterned vellum, thanks for the inspiration!