Hello everyone! Erum here with a super vibrant card project and video for the Creative Coloring with Erum video series. My card features the Build-A-Garden: Morning Asters and the super-vibrant Altenew Watercolor Brush Markers.
Welcome to Creativity Unlocked, where we highlight a new product from each month's collection or a fan favorite from past collections! Discover each product's endless creative possibilities and get inspired to create the paper crafting ideas we share here. Keep on reading for exclusive tips from our designers, handy tips and tricks, and stunning project inspiration from talented crafters.
Keep on reading for more tips and project ideas using this new stamp/die/stencil bundle!
Did you know that Asters are also known as the frost flowers, and are one of the preferred choices for flower arrangements in fall and winter? This set features two beautiful arrangements of asters, a silhouette of a branch of berries, and six heartfelt sentiments. The loosely drawn style of these star-shaped flowers makes them perfect for watercoloring! The die set comprises of three dies that match the images in the stamp set. Stencils 1-3 in the coordinating layering stencil set will help you add layers of colors to the aster arrangements. Stencil 4 has additional silhouettes of leafy branches that can be used to create background foliage or enhance the floral arrangements.
Need help with layering? We've got you!
Download the layering guides below:
- Build-A-Garden: Morning Asters Stamp & Stencil Layering Guide 1
- Build-A-Garden: Morning Asters Stamp & Stencil Layering Guide 2
- Create a 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ card base. Set aside.
- On an A2 Watercolor Cardstock, stamp images from the Build-A-Garden: Morning Asters stamp in Embossing Ink.
- Cover with Antique Gold Crisp Embossing Powder and heat set.
- Use Ruby Red and Purple Wine Watercolor Brush Markers to add color to the petals closer to the flower center.
- Activate the pigment with a wet paintbrush and pull it out to the tip of the petals. You can also color outside the lines if you plan to die cut the images.
- Use Citrus Burst and Emerald to color the leaves. First, apply Citrus Burst and spread it all over the leaf. Next, add Emerald to the midrib and work it outwards slightly. You can add more Emerald pigment to the midrib and base of the leaf and let it sit there to add depth.
- Use Citrus Burst Watercolor Brush Marker to add color to the flower center. Pull some of the pink/red pigment from the petals for shading.
- Color the extra foliage in a mix of yellow and red, also apply a diluted green watercolor to some places.
- On an A2 Watercolor Cardstock, apply water to the right-hand side, roughly forming a c shape. Then add Emerald Watercolor Brush Marker pigment to this portion. Use a slightly wet paintbrush to spread the pigment around, keeping a portion of the panel light. (watch the video to see how)
- Add Citrus Burst Watercolor Brush Marker to this for variation and to balance the image. Also, add splatters of Citrus Burst for interest. Once done, dry the panel completely.
- Add splatters of gold paint from the Metallic Watercolor 14 Pan Set. Set aside to dry completely.
- Heat emboss a sentiment on black cardstock and cut to a thin strip. Use Ultra Sticky Double-Sided Tape to adhere this onto glitter cardstock from the Gilded Glitter Cardstock Set so that it shows through from the bottom edge.
- Adhere the green watercolor panel to the card base with Ultra Sticky Double-Sided Tape.
- Then adhere the images to the card front with Instant Dimension Foam Tape.
- To finish, add Satin Gold Sequins.
Video: Fun with Watercolor Brush Markers
For the perfect watercolor look, add a wash of light watercolor all over the petals and leaves. Once dry, add a second layer of more concentrated watercolor to some parts of the petals and leaves. Keep adding layers and have fun!
We've curated a few items that will go well with this product. Check them out!
1 Product, Multiple Ways!
Before you go, here are a few card ideas featuring this new stamp/die/stencil set!
Stamping, stenciling, die-cutting – everything you want & more! This set also allows you to easily create a lovely flower arrangement on your card.
The images in this set are perfect for any paper crafting project – from handmade cards to DIY tags and bookmarks!
If alcohol markers are more your cup of tea, then the Build-A-Garden Morning Asters Set is definitely a must-have! Adding a swirly debossed background is another great way to level up your card!
You can also go for soft, pastel colors to give your card a stunning CAS vibe!
Use dark cardstock and add pops of gold to give your card an instantly classy look!
I hope you enjoyed the easy tutorial. I would love to hear from you! Thank you for reading.